Thursday, June 28, 2012

Red Head

I have really enjoyed getting to know the different birds that frequent my deck. I have two feeders that I fill with sunflower seeds that attract a variety of feathered fowl. I was surprised to see this BEAUTIFUL wood-pecker at one of the feeders. I didn't know they ate anything other than bugs they find in a tree! This wood-pecker makes all my other birds (even cardinals - more on them later!) look so small.

As I began observing him/her, I noticed he (for ease of conversation) would sit up in the crux of a tree nearby, crack & eat his seed. Then, he would fly back to the feeder for another. Then one day, I noticed two of them in that tree; they make a beautiful pair! I wish I had a picture of the two.

I've decided "he" is Randolph - just looks like a "Randoph". (How funny is it that "he" is probably a "she").  Unlike my cardinals, can't tell the difference between the gal & the fellow.  And, yes, more on the cardinals, later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment