Monday, June 18, 2012

Chubby Chihuahua



Why the stray, chubby Chihuahua ended up here… I met the young owner this evening who has had to give up her little friend “Binky”. Let me back up a bit:

Two weeks ago, I was out getting a bite to eat with some friends from work, on July 3rd. When I returned home, my son tells me a very chubby Chihuahua just “showed up” on our front porch. My three sons situated the little dog in our laundry room with water and food. After working all day I was not in the mood to see any stray animal that had now come to my home, uninvited. The next morning, I slept in, ate breakfast and then headed to the mall to work my 5 hour shift which was to pay time & a half because of the Independence Day Holiday. Dragging myself home again that afternoon, I decided to see what the boys were talking about.

Downstairs in my laundry room was a chubby Chihuahua who growled at me when I tried to pull him out of his hiding place. After sniffing me a bit, he quickly became the friendliest little dog I have ever seen (except for my Shitzu, Madie, of course). Over the next few days I made several phone calls to local vets & the Humane Society, letting everyone know about the little friend we had, whose real owner I was certain was missing him terribly. No one seemed to be missing the “Little Man”; this, his new given name, by me. With the Humane Society not being an option for this elder doggie, I struggled with what to do about our visitor. I had been saving my pennies just to be able to afford Madie’s annual shots, so taking on another vet bill just was not realistic. One solid week later I received a phone call from my vet saying that the owner had come forward looking for her “chubby Chihuahua”. The gals at my vet (coincidentally Chubby Chihuahua’s vet too!!) had actually stumbled upon my info through 2 other vet offices (for some reason they hadn’t made note of my original call to them!). Evidently, the owner had been visiting her mother in the neighborhood on the other side of ours, about 2 blocks away. The night before the 4th, Little “Binky” Man (we learned Binky was his given name) got out and didn’t come back – we now know where he went!! Even though an attachment to our Little Man had been formed by us all (or "Carlos" as the boys called him), I knew he was better off with his real “mom”.   The next morning I put him in the car and we headed to the vet. But things had changed – health problems for the owner had developed to the point that she would have to give up this Chubby Chihuahua. Frustrated at the prospect of being stuck with a vet bill I couldn’t afford, I insisted this “owner” pay for his over-due shots (ironically past due the same amount as Madie) and I then I would “consider” keeping him. But then they proceeded to tell me this young woman had had 2 seizures and broken both shoulders – had surgery for one and was facing another surgery for the other. Sympathetic, but still frustrated I took the doggie home to our house.

Another week goes by. Today I get a phone call – in a kind and sincere voice, Binky’s real owner asks if she could come by and visit “Binky” just to say “Hi” to him. This very  evening, a young woman and her mother came into my living room and were overjoyed to see that “Binky” was safe and sound and in a good home. We began to talk, discussing how the whole story unfolded. I said, “…so I understand you live in Oak Hills?…” and the mom answers, “yes, the 2nd house on the right”. I say, oh then you must know the family who recently lost a son. She immediately replies, “yes, that was us” as her eyes turn down at the floor. The daughter/owner also says, “yes that was my brother”. Oh my, yes, Angel & Sandra Robertson sat in my living room, right in front of me and I was speechless. What do I say to these women who have been through such a horrible tragedy? What do I say to Sandra, the mother whose son is gone, having committed suicide in her own yard? As she sat there telling me what a blessing it was that Binky found my home and how thankful she is that he is being taking care of, I struggled for words to say with tears filling my eyes. “Your family has been in my prayers for months now… my prayer group too… I can’t imagine what you have been through”. Nervously, I tried changing the subject as my oldest son walked in the room to mention he went to school with Alan Robertson - I began talking about my son's car accident months earlier, the ages of my sons, being a single mom, working 2 jobs. Sandra says, “wow, you are a strong woman”. WHAT?? I quickly said, “oh no, YOU are the strong woman and you will continue to be in my prayers”.

Now I know why a stray, chubby Chihuahua showed up at my house and will always be a constant reminder of how God puts us ALL in each other’s lives, to encourage, learn from and pray for. God showed me that providing a loving home for Binky was my role in comforting & loving this family who was hurting so deeply.  The Robertson ladies are now my friends and I am honored to care for & provide a home for their “Little Man”, Binky.

An “aha” moment! Several weeks go by and Angel comes for another visit with Binky. We got to reminiscing on the story again of how he "somehow" made it safely to our house and had quickly become a beloved part of the family. Angel pauses and reflects, "yes, I was talking with my mom the other day and realized something: if God had & has a plan for Binky, surely he has a plan for me". I, again, stood there with tears in my eyes; feeling the warmth that only real joy can bring: the kind of joy that only comes from being in His, Holy and undeniable will.

Praise the ONE who loves us all and provides even the small blessings of a home for a broken family’s little friend.


Update: Binky has brought so much joy to our home with his happy personality, funny quirks and general presence.  Everyone who visits wants to take him home with them ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment